Chelsea had earlier on believed that Lukaku had set his heart on a return to Stamford Bridge.
This one ain't over, folks.
The former Everton and Old Trafford defender broke the news to his social media followers with a picture of Lukaku in a Red Devils shirt.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a transfer that is yet to be completed.
Chelsea boss Conte was said to be "fuming" at how the deal got away and club officials spent Thursday trying to establish from Lukaku and his advisors whether there was any way back.
Lukaku was 18 when he signed for Chelsea in August 2011 from Anderlecht for a fee reported to be around £20m.
The deal is now reportedly agreed and is ready to be officially announced by the clubs.
With a double against Hull City in March, Lukaku became the first Everton player since Gary Lineker in 1985-86 to hit 20 league goals in a season.
United will waive a fee and may also fund part of Rooney's £13million wages.
In fact, Chelsea technical director Michael Emenalo went "missing" for four days on an emergency mission to try and resolve the Conte crisis following the fall-out over Diego Costa. Mata is quoted in Marca.
- Prinz George und Prinzessin Charlotte besuchen Deutschland
- Was macht Melania Trump in Hamburg?
- James Cromwell: Der "Ein Schweinchen namens Babe"-Star muss in den Knast!"
- Acht Tote bei Hauseinsturz nahe Neapel
- Soundcloud streicht Jobs und schließt Standorte
- Nintendo Switch in Japan: Die erfolgreichsten Download-Titel der ersten Jahreshälfte 2017
- USA und Russland einigen sich auf Waffenruhe im Südwesten Syriens
- Daimler und BAIC bauen ab 2020 Elektroautos in China
- Mesut Özil: "Instagram"-Account gehackt"
- Wegen Dreharbeiten: Matthias Schweighöfer sagt Konzerte ab!